DownSyn Forum Forum Index DownSyn Forum
Extra Chromosome... Extra Family

shoppingShop   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   MapMap   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum TourForum Tour 

Our Strange Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       DownSyn Forum Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knottylucyrae

PostPosted: December 06 2015, 4:52 PM    Post subject:
Our Strange Story

I've said I would do my introduction several times then forget to take the time. So here it goes, My family is a complicated mess of blended weirdness but we love it and it works for us (for the most part).

My husband and I have been good friends for over 15 years having met in our professional lives. After enrolling in a class that his oldest daughter was also attending we crossed each other's paths yet again. After months of being in class with his daughter and becoming good friends with her, Her mother (his wife) passed away suddenly. As a friend and not being a stranger to single parenting I reached out as a friend to offer support any way that I could.

Quickly our lives changed! Soon after starting to help with his kids, his son Jared who has DS called me Mom. I was TERRIFED! I wasn't afraid because he looked to me to provide that kind of support but because I wasn't sure how his daughters or (honestly) John would react to it. I told him and John seemed happy that he was comfortable enough to turn to me. John's daughters on the other hand were not as impressed, neither was my daugher.

After a few months of spending time together, helping each other out, and starting to turn to each other not just in times of need but in ordinary situations as well we moved all of our kids and us into one house! Talk about stress!

Here we are two years later, now we are married, we each brought three kids into this family and together we have adopted another. Jessica is beginning her carreer as a nurse at 22, living on her own and building her life. Trayvon is 15 started high school and found peace joining the local ROTC and playing guitar. Aubreigh is 14 decided having a step mom wasn't the end of the world and now comes to me about clothes, boys, music, art, and friends all while complaining about chores and glued to her phone. Trevor is 13 and surgically attached to video games, makes great grades and very active in church. Jared is turning 10, we are having behavioral issues but taking them one day at a time with the help of some great people in the mental health field and at his school. Trenity is 9, she paddles a boat with Jared most days, they both struggle with cognitive issues and behavioral troubles. Tarryn is 15months, walking talking, throwing attitude and acting like she is the queen of our blended little castle.

John and I spend most days with our kids as the center of our universe. We don't get a lot of time to ourselves or alone with each other due to the issues our kids face. We wouldn't trade our life for anything, the biggest thing we would like to change is the lack of support, qualified treatment, and the general understanding in area about DS, ADHD, and other similar issues. There seems to be a complete lack of understanding in our community.

I am looking forward to coming out of the shadows as a lurker on this site and more of a participant and meeting more of all of you! Thank you so much for just being here and existing, more ofter than not my husband and I feel like we're alone fighting a big battle.

jtkkmom

PostPosted: December 10 2016, 5:32 PM    Post subject:

Welcome! I have 4 daughters & my youngest who is 9 has T21.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       DownSyn Forum Forum Index -> Introductions All times are
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: